WHAT SHOULD I KEEP WITH ME ON MY MOVING DAY?
Keep with you anything you or your family will use on the day of your move with you. Common items include snacks, toilet paper, paper towel, phone chargers, a change of clothes, toothbrush/toothpaste, and your kids’ favorite toys.
Additionally, medications, important paperwork (e.g., birth certificates and social security cards), and anything highly valuable or sentimental (jewelry, credit cards, bank account information, etc.) should be set aside. On your moving day, place these essential items in a box or bag that you’ll carry with you to your new home.
HOW DO I PICK THE RIGHT MOVER?
- Create a list of local moving companies you plan to research.
- Get a quote from each mover. Make sure to get moving quotes directly from a company’s official website or phone number. Working with movers directly cuts out any middlemen and will result in the lowest price.
- Get a feel for each moving company’s reputation by reading reviews from real customers.
- Ask whether each company is licensed and how they’re insured.
- Determine how each mover’s schedule works. Is your delivery date guaranteed? Will the same person who loads up your belongings transport and unload them as well?
- Make sure you’re comfortable with how each mover charges, their cancellation policy, and whether or not a deposit is required.
- Choose whichever company best fits your move; everyone’s needs are different.
WHEN DO I NEED AN IN-HOME MOVING ESTIMATE?
Generally, moving companies can give you an estimate over the phone. In some cases, movers may need to visit your home in person to give you an accurate quote.
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you may need an in-home estimate:
- Is your home 1,500 square feet or larger?
- Do you have any large or bulky items (e.g., safes or pianos) that may be difficult to move safely and securely?
- Does your home have any narrow hallways, doorways, or stairways that furniture cannot fit through?
- Will movers have difficulty parking a 26 ft. truck close to your home?
- Are you moving out of state?
HOW DO I MEASURE THE SQUARE FOOTAGE OF A ROOM
- Use a tape measure to measure the length and width of the room. In order to get the most accurate measurement, be sure to clear objects out of the way.
- To determine square footage, multiply the length of the room by the width of the room. If a tape measure is not available, you can also measure the area of the room using your own two feet.
- Measure the length of your foot with a ruler.
- Pace off the length of the room stepping heel to toe. If you need to, you can use the wall for support.
- Multiply the number of steps by the length of your foot.
- Divide that number by 12 to get the approximate number of feet from wall to wall.
- Repeats steps 2 – 4 to measure the width of the room.
- To determine the square footage, multiply the length of the room by the width of the room.
WHAT’S THE MOST EFFICIENT WAY TO PACK A HOUSE?
- Block off time in the days before your move to pack. Give yourself enough time to pack carefully without feeling overly stressed out.
- Decide the order in which you’ll be packing up your home. The most common way is to pack up each room separately.
- Begin packing the room in your home that gets the least amount of use.
- Save essentials for last. You won’t want to pack items you use daily, such as a toothbrush, until the last moment possible.
- If you don’t have time to pack yourself, you can hire professionals. Most moving companies offer packing services as well.
HOW MUCH DOES AFFORDABLE MOVERS COST?
Most charge hourly for local moves and by weight and miles for long-distance moves. Contact Affordable movers office for additional pricing information.
WHAT FACTORS MAY AFFECT MY MOVE COST?
- Number of flights of stairs
- Distance of walk from the truck to the load or unload location
- The amount of time it takes to load and unload your items
- Driving time from the load to the unload location
We are ready to serve you
Simple & hassle-free
Get in touch
3601 Agler Road
Columbus, Ohio 43219